Tuesday, August 22, 2006

bright lights, big city

New York City is fabulous.

Having never spent any time here until just the last few weeks, I am floored by the endless sea of opportunities, buildings, people, and motion.

Everywhere there are dichotomies: rich and poor, mundane and eccentric, development and decay, despair and hope. Change is perhaps the only constant.


I just got back from a short jaunt to Philly, and the contrast is unbelievable. Philadelphia's history and old architecture have given way to big time urban decay. Though the same thing surely exists in NYC, New York's sheer size may keep the degeneration at bay. With so many residents constantly coming and going, regeneration is an inherent part of this city.

While I'm not sure I could ever live here for more than a few years (maybe it's just too fast for me), I'm enamoured by NYC's unparalleled energy.

No comments: